Sunday, September 8, 2019

A letter from our Breed Health Coordinator

Dear SEA member,

Please find below a letter from the Kennel Club's Breed Health Coordinator for Eurasiers (our own Vice-Chair, Brigitte). In it Brigitte outlines her role in the post in terms of what she can offer you, and what she would hope to obtain from you in return.

On the 28th August the letter was also sent to the Secretaries of the other two British Eurasier clubs,  the UK Eurasier Club and the Eurasier Society UK,  with the request that they circulate it to their membership. She also requested the names and contact details of their health representatives, in order to invite them to join her at the KC Breed Health Symposium later this month.

Please get back to Brigitte directly with any questions or suggestions you might have at alphaeurasier@gmail.com

Many thanks,
Peter Mordan
Secretary, SEA
-------------------------------
Dear Eurasier owner,

Firstly let me express my heartfelt thanks to your club Secretary for forwarding to you this letter, which I hope you will find informative and will further help our mutual collaboration.

Today I am addressing you solely in my role as the UK Breed Health Coordinator for Eurasiers, as appointed by the Kennel Club, a role which I have mentored from its inception and held for a good number of years, and which I find both very interesting and rewarding.

What I can offer:
          A confidential environment in which to discuss any health concerns.

          If I am able, and it lies within my expertise as a Eurasier person of 30 years’ experience, biologist and health professional, I can also offer some health advice, although this can never replace that of a veterinary surgeon.  This applies whether you are a breeder, stud-dog owner or ‘simply’ a pet owner.

          The design and conducting of a breed-health survey

          If you express an interest (by emailing me at the address below), you will hear about trends in the breed in the UK, as well as those observed internationally through my close involvement with the International Federation for Eurasier Breeding (IFEZ).

Needless to say, all these services are absolutely free.

What I would hope to receive from you:
          Any health results you obtain when you either get your dog checked as required for breeding, or as requested by your breeder, as these provide some excellent basic information on, for example, hips, elbows, patella, thyroid, eyes and Dandy Walker Syndrome. You can, of course, decide on the confidentiality of these results.

          Records of any other health issues. Again, you decide on the confidentiality of these.

          The commitment to fill in a breed health questionnaire for a survey I am planning on conducting.

If you would like to discuss anything, I always have an open ear!

With many thanks and hoping for a good and productive collaboration in the best interest of our Eurasiers,

Dr Brigitte Mordan-Grimm